In restaurant management, the human team is the most important factor . An establishment can benefit from a large economic investment, but the fact remains that success is guaranteed if the right staff are in charge. This is what Martín Berasategui , the Basque chef at the head of Lasarte, the best restaurant in the world according to TripAdvisor’s Travelers’ Choice Award, said:
“We get the eight stars because we believe in the success of teamwork. This is what has earned me my prestige ”.
Does your establishment have the same luck? How would you describe the staff who run your restaurant? Are you satisfied with your team of collaborators? If you have any doubts, we invite you to consult the qualities of the ideal profiles for successful restaurant management.
The perfect manager
- He is a leader who sets the example. He is the first to do what he demands of the rest of the employees. He is also humble enough to recognize his mistakes and learn from them.
- He has a very clear vision of each person’s missions and, for this reason, he knows very well how to select his staff. He knows how to distinguish the most efficient to preserve their motivations and also to separate in time from those who have no place in his restaurant.
- He knows the tastes of his customers perfectly and develops strategies that his team must apply during the service and that help to build customer loyalty .
- He manages the digital channels on a daily basis and actively listens to the opinions of customers. He thus knows how the gastronomic experience offered by his establishment is judged .
- He keeps abreast of marketing trends and tips , and observes his competition and industry in general. He also shares all this information with the rest of the team so that everyone can innovate and grow together.
- It facilitates production processes , and uses technology to improve conditions. For example, he may decide to provide the team with restaurant management software to optimize all aspects of operations, save time and increase sales.
The ideal room team
- The room staff are gifted with an excellent gift of communication . They show sympathy and empathy towards customers. They know perfectly how to address guests according to their characteristics and needs, and adapt their speech by letting themselves be guided each time by their common sense.
- They are excellent sellers. They know the gastronomic offer inside out (the most profitable dishes, dishes to sell urgently, new recipes to share, new dishes to promote). They apply seductive and clever sales strategies to bring this offer to customers.
- They are observers . They constantly analyze the actions, gestures and attitudes of customers to be able to offer them as personalized attention as possible. They also permanently memorize the preferences and intolerances of each guest.
- They work very well in times of pressure, and maintain a positive behavior that does not reveal the stress always present during the service.
An irreproachable kitchen team in the management of a restaurant
- The kitchen team works like an orchestra in which every note is important, from the diver to the chef. All its members respect an order and a discipline which is repeated every day.
- They know they have the vital resources of the restaurant in their hands. For this reason, they pay attention to the smallest detail, so that each dish leaving the kitchen is as perfect as possible, in terms of presentation, quality and hygiene.
- They know the hygiene procedures and standards by heart, and are trained in the correct handling and storage of food. Cleanliness is omnipresent in all their tasks.
- The kitchen is an area of the restaurant dominated by constant tension. The kitchen team generally has a good sense of solidarity and humor which allows for good relations and mutual respect.
To conclude, the ideal in restaurant management is to be able to rely on staff motivated by surpassing oneself. To achieve such a result, it is very important that employees enjoy their daily tasks and feel proud to unleash their talent in your establishment: this guarantees that they will give the best of themselves, with the key to everyone’s success. You must therefore do everything possible to meet these conditions!